I managed to get in about a day of work on the dinghy this past week. I was working on the tiller, the oars, and the cleats that the seats mount too.
For the tiller, I laminated three strips of 3/4 inch pine together to form a square post. The plans show a slot that you leave out of one end of the tiller for the rudder to stick through. It was pretty easy to laminate it together, I used waterproof wood glue instead of epoxy (epoxy isn't cheap) and I think it should work fine because I am going to cover the entire thing with epoxy.
After the glue dried I used a hand plane to taper the tiller into a handle. This wasn't very difficult and didn't take to long either, I enjoy using a hand plane. After I planed it down good enough I sanded it smooth and rounded the edges and it really looks good. I didn't get a photo of the final piece but I will once I put a coat of epoxy on it (hopefully this week).
I also worked on the oars a good bit. I finished planing one down but I still need to do some finishing cutting with my band saw and some sanding to give it a nice smoothe and fluid look. They really are looking pretty good!
Looks like I may not get to much work in on the dinghy this week because I will be working in my mother's roof truss manufacturing plant. I work here from time to time whenever they get busy (which isn't often enough in this economy) and now a lot of work has come in at one time.