Saturday, March 14, 2009

Built the sail today!

I have been gone for a week, but it was on a cruise so I am not complaining! I needed some warm weather......

(I will post about the cruise later)

Anyways, I am hoping to have the dinghy finished before next weekend so that we can take it to the beach with us, I am so ready. Since my sewing skills are not very good, my mother and I stitched up a homemade sail today. It didn't take us very long, I would say 2 hours maybe a little longer.

The material is a painter's canvas dropcloth that I bought from Lowe's for pretty cheap, under $20 bucks. It's a light tan color so it looks traditional. The only thing I am worried about is that it isn't water proof or water resistant but it's the first sail and a "trail" one before I make one out of a better quality and more expensive material.

It was no problem cutting it out, then we ironed the folds along the edges before we sewed them with my mother's sewing machine. Once this was done I just put a few gromets where I believe they should go (I looked at photos of other sails on the internet) and it was done. No big deal at all!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: